Monday, December 17, 2012

Skinny Nick and the John Lennon Shades

I’ve mostly worked in residential facilities in my career, but I’ve also worked in some school-based and after-school programs. I’d thought I’d forgotten the interesting stories that came out of those, but as I write some of them have begun popping up in my head.

“Nick” was 11 years old when I began working at the after school mental health program. He did NOT like me. This came as no surprise to my co-workers in the program because of the fact that I had the audacity to have been born male. Nick, due to a long bad history with men who were abusive, did not often let men into his world.

For the first school year I worked in the program I had little contact with Nick as he was usually in the other of two classrooms in the program. But occasionally one of us would have to cover a mental health group for someone else in the other room, or the whole group would come together for the rare occasion. 

It wasn’t until that summer that I began to work with Nick more regularly. As our program was based in a middle school, our summer program moved to the residential facility which sponsored the program. We had more combined groups in the summer, and also we shared swim time in the residential facility’s pool.
Nick and I developed a “relationship” of sorts. He was just as sarcastic as I am, and so I think trading barbs in a friendly way helped open the door and help him feel safe with me as I didn’t take offense at his sarcasm. I also think it helped that I don’t sugar coat the truth for the kids I work with. I try to be polite, but if I think a kid’s just being a bully or a constant whiner, I tell them. 

That summer I had found a couple really cool pairs of round “John Lennon” style shades. And of course I’d wear them when we went outside, particularly when monitoring the kids at the pool. One day Nick told me “You better watch out. I’m gonna steal those sunglasses when you’re not looking.” It became a daily ritual of sorts until one day I told him “I’ll tell you what. On your last day in program, I’m going to GIVE you these.” He of course told me he was going to hold me to my word.

There were more little milestones which signaled trust. We were playing around one day in a group I joked around about him being so skinny I could throw him out the little slit of a window we had. Of course it was clearly too small so it was an obvious exaggeration. But he dared me and I picked him up like I was going to do it. And we both got a big kick out of it. Later a co-worker and I were talking and I said “a few months ago I wouldn’t have even been able to get NEAR Nick, let alone pick him up like that.” 

At the end of the summer we packed up and moved all of the program’s stuff back to the middle school. But the school had need of the two rooms we had been using and so consigned us to a large (and very echo-y) space that wasn’t being used. Due to the new accommodations we ended up combining both classrooms into one big group. It actually reduced our workload some because each of us had to plan and facilitate fewer groups, but it also increased the drama within the now larger group.

I recall one incident where things became so out of hand that we had to call the police to assist. Nick was one of the kids who had gotten out of hand in that situation, and so had to talk to the officers. Other than that, Nick had often become a positive leader within the group.

I don’t recall if that was the incident which precipitated it, but one day a social worker had shown up with Nick. (I invite my former co-workers to fill in any details for me since I’m sure they recognize who I’m talking about) She explained that Nick was refusing to return to program. We of course tried to encourage him to continue and resolve whatever the problem was as he would be graduating from the program before too long anyway. He was determined, so I piped up.

“Remember I said I would give you those shades on your last day. I’m going to run down to my car and get them because they’re yours.” He said don’t bother, that it was fine. But I insisted. When I jogged back up with them (we were a few floors up) I told him “I promised you these, and keeping my word means a lot to me. I couldn’t let you leave without giving you these.” Nick was a bit speechless, but said thanks before leaving.

It wasn’t too much later that Nick voluntarily started coming to program again, and continued to excel as the natural leader he is. 

The day finally came when Nick graduated from the program. At his goodbye party he had a little something to say to each of us. When he came to me, he recalled the day I wouldn’t let him leave until I ran down and back up the stairs, just to keep my promise of giving him a stupid pair of shades. He was actually in tears as he told me how much that impacted him as he was so used to men breaking promises to him. Okay, we were BOTH in tears. I couldn’t have known that it would be as important to him as it was to me, and one of the reasons he came back when he was determined to leave.

I saw Nick a few times after that. He lived close to some friends of mine and so I had seen him walking past when I was leaving. I think I even gave him a lift down the street one time. I’m still amazed that I could have gone from being someone a kid wanted NOTHING to do with to someone he actually trusted and liked.

No comments: