Wednesday, January 16, 2008

New part time job

I attended the weekly clinical meeting at my new part time job today. The program director was sick and wasn't there, so it was with three other people I had never met. A little awkward, but I really felt comfortable with them by the time I left.

Afterward I went to Middletown to visit my parents. Apparently my boss had meant for me to start some duties today. I got a call from the lady who was filling in for her around noon. I was expected to be picking up one of the kids from school for a couple hours today. I'm guessing my boss was going to talk to me about this at the meeting today and give me directions to the school, but obviously she couldn't since she was sick. I actually had plans and initially said I couldn't do it, but then called back and said I would--didn't want to leave the parent in a bind, and I was close enough to the area that it was convenient. I also thought it would be good to meet one of the kids I'll be working with. So she gave me the foster parent's number. After talking to the foster parent, who hadn't known it was my first day, we agreed it might be better for her to arrange her mother-in-law to pick the boy up. I assured her it would be no problem and I didn't want to inconvenience her. But since he's apparently a pretty difficult kid, she felt I'd be better equipped to handle him after having my initial training with my boss.

I'm a little relieved since it took some time pressure off my day, but it would have been cool if it had worked out the other way too.

No comments: