Saturday, September 16, 2006

Letter to the Bosses.

Since I hadn't heard much about the live-in position where I work and I know they're looking to make a decision soon, I decided it wouldn't hurt to nudge them a bit and pitch myself even further.  So I sent the following e-mail.

Dear Katrina and Sister Melanie,

I haven’t heard much from you regarding the live-in position as of yet.  In fact, the most I’ve heard is that you’re looking at a few different candidates.

As you go about making the decision, I hope you will keep several things in mind. Of course, first of those are that I have been working at the View Place house for over a year now, and I’ve worked hard to develop relationships with each of the scholars.

I did begin as a live-in staff.  I left and went part time for some personal reasons, not the least of which was that I felt constantly criticized, talked down to, and undermined in front of the scholars by the other live-in counselor.  I rarely have trouble getting along with anyone, so this is not normal for me. I tried to speak no ill of him at that time. Since then, I’ve tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and have even advocated for him on occasion as I choose to believe he doesn’t mean to come across the way he does.  I want the focus of this letter to be positive, but I know the particular issue of my having left live-in before will come up.

I stayed part time due to my belief in the program and my belief that I could really make a difference in the scholars’ lives.  There were times when I even rescheduled or canceled plans when I was needed to help out extra at the house due to my dedication to the cause. When I saw an opportunity to come back on full time, I went for it.

Now a live-in position has come open.  Let me be so bold as to say that I am the person for that spot.  The boys are going to need someone living in that they know, trust, and respect.  They are going to need a male living in.  Boys are no more comfortable having all women caring for them than girls are having all men caring for them.  Boys have problems they won’t be comfortable talking to a woman about.

At this point, everybody is looking to me for my knowledge on the boys and the house routine.  I have to advocate for the staff to the scholars, and I have to advocate for the scholars to the staff as well.  I think I’m doing my share and then some, just out of necessity.  That will all even out, but until the new staff and the scholars can get to know and respect each other I will end up being the liaison.  I’m taking the initiative to take care of getting prescriptions filled, get scholars into activities, set medical and dental appointments, and get the vehicle maintenance up to date—all while trying to keep up with the regular house duties as well.  That’s a lot to juggle, and will be much easier to focus on if and when I don’t have to switch focus each day from home to work to home to work to home to work (okay, you get the point).

As you said in my goals meeting, you haven’t begun to see what I’m capable of accomplishing. And I can accomplish so much more when my focus is not split.

Thanks for your consideration,

Al


 Well, it appears that I did manage to kick the process into high gear.  We're meeting Monday morning.  They were discussing a few concerns which it appears I answered in my e-mail already.  It pretty much seems like I've got the position.

No comments: