Tuesday, September 19, 2006

SCORE

I got the position. 

The meeting was mostly just to ensure that I was committed to taking the live-in position.  They had the offer and my new employment agreement all typed out and ready for me to sign, which I did.  They offered me $1500 more per year than I was making when I initially came on last year as a live-in Residential Counselor.  On paper it looks like less than I currently make as the dollar figure is $1500 less per year than my live-out salary.  But even just accounting for rent I won't have to pay it amounts to $3000 more per year.  Add utilities, phone, and internet and it becomes $4800 more per year.  Consider what I'd spend on laundry and it jumps to around 5200 more per year.  On top of that, add food costs and gas savings.  Other benefits are free YMCA membership, free cable TV (I don't currently subscribe), etc.  And since I'm only taxed on my actual income and not the fact that I'm given room and board, I save in taxes.

I told the boys this evening.  I know they were pretty happy about it, but one boy was really excited.  I knew he would be as I think right now I'm one of the few people in the house who doesn't treat him like crap.  The other boys all pick on him and since he's irritating, some of the new staff end up jumping down his throat over the littlest things. 

I think my teammates are pretty happy too.  It means more hours (the trap of salary) for me and increased responsibility (all good for the resume) and they all do look to me for guidance since I know the boys very well already, having worked with them for a year now.

We had an all-staff meeting for all three houses today at the office.  Afterward, my teammates and I had an impromptu meeting to revamp the point system.  We ended up coming up with something we could all be happy with.  Afterward we all went out to lunch and just got more acquainted.

Yeah, it was a good couple of days.

No comments: