Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Unexpected Gratitude

I don't do what I do for the money or for glory, but it's really nice when the occasional kid expresses gratitude for some little thing.

Saturday night after bedtime, one boy came to his doorway asking if he could check his pants because he thought he left a pen and some other things in the pocket.  I had already started laundry, so it was a bit too late.  I told him this did tell him I'd look for the items he was worried about.  It was then that I decided to go and fish through the load to see if I could salvage his stuff before it was ruined.  I was able to fish out some of the items which weren't in danger of being ruined, but not the pen. So I took those items to him and assured him I'd still keep my eye out.

I was able to find the pen and the rest of the boy's stuff when I was transferring the clothes to the dryer. The pen was leaking ink and I figured it was ruined, but I figured I'd get it to him anyway. I left his stuff on his dresser along with the following note:

(name),

I think your pen may be ruined, but I was able to get it out of the washer along with the other things you were worried about.

I had pretty much forgotten all about it by last night when I arrived to work, but as I was bringing his clean clothes to his room to put on top of his dresser, I noticed the note I had written was still there. I was a bit surprised as this kid is always very good at keeping his room neat and the top of his dresser clear of items. When I looked at it, that's when I saw that he had left me a reply:







Thank you!!!
-P.S. The Pin works.

And of course I replied "You're welcome and I'm glad."

For all the times I get cursed at, hit, kicked, or have stuff thrown at me, these are the moments that remind me why I do what I do. Not for a thank you, but because I make some small difference in a child's life. I'm sure the kids appreciate what I do more often than I hear it from them, but it's always nice to hear it.

No comments: