Thursday, October 18, 2012

You're A Meany--I Like You!

Sometimes I don't get why the kids at work seem to like me so well.  Okay, that's a lie, but sometimes it's for reasons that seem not to fit.

About a month back I arrived to work and as I approached the building I was surprised to see a boy who is almost NEVER awake when I get there wave at me from his bedroom window.  I found out why shortly thereafter when I arrived on the dorm to see this kid's roommate sleeping on a mattress in the common area. The two had been caught only 30 minutes earlier engaging in inappropriate behavior together, and reportedly had been doing so regularly when other staff were working third shift. The kids know better than to say they get away with stuff when I'm there because they all know how anal I am about keeping an eye on them.

I'm afraid I wasn't very nice to the boy who was still awake.  I could have at least greeted him back in a friendly manner since he was obviously happy to see me and had been friendly himself. I did have a short talk with him which I remember vividly:

Me: "You know what really disappoints me?"
Him: "What?"
Me: "You and (his roommate's name) had actually earned a little tiny bit of trust with me, and now that's gone. You're a great kid. I just wish I didn't have to worry about you sneaking around."

After that I sent him back to bed.  That night I more than tripled the number of room checks I do at night on that dorm to every 5 minutes (plus some surprises and any time I hear something of course), and I made it very obvious to him while he was still awake.

The following night I made sure to have a nicer, more affirming talk with him when he got up to use the restroom because I felt bad about being a little harsh and unfriendly the previous night. 

This is why I sometimes am surprised that the kids like me and even defend me, while they hate the other overnight guy who they say sleeps and doesn't do any work.  If these guys are sneaking around trying to get away with sexing their roommates up, I would think they'd hate me for being so vigilant and making it clear they will NEVER have the opportunity to get away with stuff like that while I'm on duty.

This all goes to demonstrate what is really important to kids.  They actually want someone to hold them accountable and keep them safe. It lets them know they're valued.

No comments: